I Choose To Dance

Thoughts about life as a dance and other non-categorized amblings.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

I am getting ready for the ballet tomorrow night. I am shooting three of the pieces during the last dress before opening night. Video. That is thanks to Mary Pat's recommendations to Bill Whitener. I don't know that I will ever feel I know enough. The more I do this the more I realize how little I know. Probably should have remained ignorant. (ha)

I think dancers are some of the most amazing acrobats. Enormous strength and discipline combined with grace and perfect timing and they still have to get the form just right.

Anyway two of the pieces are by Bill and one is by visiting artist Robert Hill. They all look great. The first piece is really cute and a lot of fun. A hill-billy number about youth and a first kiss. Very spirited and a delight. Sometimes it is hard to believe that this is really ballet. They aren't in toe shoes for the first two numbers. I am shooting the first, third and fourth numbers. This will be at the Lyric Opera.

Haven, which is the second piece is very dark and I am a bit worried about image quality. I opens with three very narrow and piercing spikes of light on three dancers. Even when the light becomes more broad it stays pretty dim. Nicole is doing the wide shots and the Sony is better in dark than is my GL2. She should have a little more leeway. I may have to boost the GL2's gain so that means I will use it as the detail camera. The larger images should show less apparent breakup even when the gain is boosted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home